A buildup of gas in the stomach and intestines causes bloating. It could be due to drinking carbonated beverages, eating a large meal, menstruation, constipation, or wind. Avoiding or reducing the consumption of wind-producing foods such as beans, onions, lactose-containing foods, and carbonated beverages may help prevent bloating.
(See a doctor if you:Have diarrhoea, Feel severe or persistent abdominal pain, or Notice blood in your stool/change in stool colour).
The best tip for quick-ish relief is to drink more water. Some of the foods that can help reduce bloating are:
- Bananas are rich in potassium and it prevents water retention by regulating sodium levels in your body and can thus reduce salt-induced bloating.
- Bananas are also a good source of prebiotic fiber, which helps to increase the good bacteria in your gut and improve digestion.
- Researchers found that eating a banana before a meal could improve good bacteria and decrease bloating by 50%. Bananas also have soluble fiber, which can relieve or prevent constipation.
- Ginger is an important ingredient in cooking. Scientific analysis shows that the herb ginger contains hundreds of compounds and metabolites, some of which may contribute to health and healing.
- Ginger contains a digestive enzyme called zingibain, which helps the body break down protein.
- When you’re feeling bloated, try sipping on ginger tea or adding dried or fresh grated ginger to your food.
- This aids your digestion and helps your stomach empty faster, which prevents bloating.
- Yogurt is packed with probiotics, a beneficial type of bacteria that plays a key role in gut health.
- Probiotics can reduce bloating and abdominal swelling in those with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- If you want to add some sweetness, use a little honey, and fruits like bananas and berries that help reduce bloating.
- Generally, people use cucumbers to reduce puffiness/dark circles under the eyes. You can eat them and help your belly too.
- Cucumbers comprise about 95% water, making them great for relieving bloating.
- Cucumber is high in potassium, which nullifies the ill effects of sodium and is known to cause bloating. It helps to eliminate extra sodium through urine.
- Cucumber peels are full of antioxidants, so make sure you have them regularly too, and do not toss them away each time.
- So eat your cucumber as it is or swap sugary drinks with a glass of cucumber water.
- Green tea contains a little caffeine, which is a natural diuretic.
- Green tea has anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects.
- It acts as a natural laxative.
- Papaya contains an enzyme called papain. This digestive enzyme helps to break down the food.
- It’s also high in fiber and water content which alleviates constipation and regulates bowel activity.
Make sure you practise moderation. Anything in excess would only prove harmful in the longer run. If your stomach issues do not heal with these remedies, it is best advised to consult a doctor before matters go out of hand.
Leave a comment in the box below.
Read more about Beauty-Self care :